Structure map of a reservoir with gas-oil and oil-water contacts
Prev Next Zoom 1 of 2
1. n. [Geology]
The interface, also called fluid contact, that separates fluids of different densities in a reservoir. Horizontal contacts are usually assumed, although tilted contacts occur in some reservoirs. The contact between fluids is usually gradual rather than sharp, forming a transition zone of mixed fluid. A mixed-fluid reservoir will stratify according to fluid density, with gas at the top, oil in the middle, and water below. Production of fluids often perturbs the fluid contacts in a reservoir.
Synonyms: fluid contact

Lithologic contact of dike and gneiss
Prev Next Zoom 1 of 1
2. n. [Geology]
The surface, also called lithologic contact, that separates rock bodies of different lithologies, or rock types. A contact can be conformable or unconformable depending upon the types of rock, their relative ages and their attitudes.
Synonyms: lithologic contact